Program Assistant – Job Opportunity
Employer: Sonoma Resource Conservation District
Work Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County, California
Position: Full Time, 40 hours per week
Start Date: September 2017
The Sonoma Resource Conservation District (RCD) is seeking an entry-level Program Assistant to support RCD staff with tasks related to the LandSmart® Planning, Education, On-the-Ground, and Water Resources programs.
About the Organization
The Sonoma RCD is a non-regulatory, local special district empowered to manage soil, water, fish and wildlife resources for conservation. In existence since the 1940s, RCDs are local grassroots conservation delivery systems that identify local conservation problems and guide solutions on a voluntary basis. The Sonoma RCD covers 85% of Sonoma County, and includes portions of the Russian River, Petaluma River, Sonoma Creek, Stemple Creek, and Gualala River Watersheds. The RCD is almost exclusively grant and fee for service funded with a small amount of local property tax leveraged in to millions of dollars each year. The RCD has a team of twelve, with expertise in a wide variety of natural resource and agricultural disciplines, education and outreach, policy, fundraising, and administration, and is governed by a board of directors that are local landowners in the District. Our mission is carried out through four programs: LandSmart® Planning, LandSmart On-the-Ground, LandSmart Water Resources, and LandSmart Education. For more information visit our website at: www.sonomarcd.org
About the Position
The Program Assistant will work under the supervision of a Project Manager and will work closely with several Project Managers, Specialists, and other staff in implementing the RCD’s LandSmart programs. Tasks will include data entry, field work, tabling at outreach events, mapping, planning, permit applications, grant applications, and labor compliance.
This position is a 40 hours per week, at-will position. Compensation commensurate with experience. Position includes 100% employer-paid health plan, retirement plan, annual discretionary leave, and ten (10) paid holidays.
• Prepare draft LandSmart farm conservation plans including field data collection and mapping.
• Prepare permit applications for on-the-ground projects.
• Assist Program Development Manager with grant applications.
• Ensure contractors are in compliance with state and federal labor compliance laws.
• Draft subcontracts and landowner agreements.
• Answer phone and record data as necessary.
• Assist Education and Communications Specialist with education and outreach.
• Assist Project Management staff with field work, including: groundwater monitoring, irrigation efficiency evaluations, field surveys, LandSmart planning and technical assistance site visits.
• Prepare maps and plans in ArcGIS (required) and AutoCAD (desired).
• Type at a rate sufficient to perform assigned duties
• Use database, spreadsheet, accounting, and web interface applications, depending on assignment.
• Communicate effectively in English, both orally and in written form.
• Understand information requests of others and respond courteously, efficiently, and accurately.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those encountered during performance of duties.
• Organize, plan, and prioritize own workload and adjust to changes in workload and assignments to meet critical deadlines under pressure.
• Problem solve, compile and analyze data, and use sound judgment.
• Effectively apply the required knowledge and skills in the daily performance of assigned duties
• Combination of education and experience, typically equivalent to possession of a Bachelor’s degree in natural resource management or related field.
• Proficiency with ArcGIS, Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint.
• Possession of a valid California driver’s license, vehicle, and proof of automobile insurance at the time of appointment and a satisfactory driving record.
To apply: send cover letter, resume, and references to Justin Bodell, Project Manager, by August 2, 2017. No telephone calls, please.